Tips to help you prepare for storage
We’ve put together some storage tips so you can benefit from our experience and make sure you’re ready.
Make sure that you have enough storage boxes and packaging supplies. We can help if you don’t!
Packing and storage advice
- Disassemble large pieces – put any screws, fixings etc in labelled bags.
- Box everything to avoid losing things.
- Use proper storage boxes that won’t fall apart or crush.
- Don’t pu too many heavy items in one box to avoid weighty boxes.
- Wrap china and glassware piece by piece – heaviest items at the bottom padding out empty corners and spaces.
- Label your boxes clearly on thetop and sides.
- Make an inventory of numbered boxes and their contents.
- Clean out fridges, freezers, ovens and food cupboards, and tape doors closed for the journey.
- Call us for any further storage advice.
- Load biggest items first and pad spaces between items.
- Fasten your load so that your packed possessions don’t topple or slide around.
- Put your personal items such as your handbag, wallet, specs and keys in one bag so you can keep them safe in the cab of the van.
Tips for using your storage space effectively
- Store largest items first.
- Fill hollow items such as wardrobes with smaller boxes – to maximise your storage capacity.
- Label and number all boxes – keep a numbered list, and stack boxes so the labels are visible
- Store appliances clean, with doors wedged open.
- In a large storage unit leave access space – like a walkway down the middle.
- Put dust sheets over stored goods.